Quantity of Water Required When Making Screed to Repair Concrete Terrace
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
xmfclick
Labourer
Labourer

Quantity of Water Required When Making Screed to Repair Concrete Terrace

Post by xmfclick » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:13 am

I am about to repair a concrete terrace which forms the flat roof of a garage and I need to calculate how much plasticiser to buy for adding to the water when making the screed. So, basically, I need to work out how much water I will need to use for the screed. The volume of screed is 2 cubic metres.

I've searched the Net but not found anything that I can understand. The nearest thing I got was an Indian forum where people were talking about the density of sand and cement and percentage of water in the sand and then did some complicated calculation. Can anybody give me a rule-of-thumb idea of how much water I'll need?

Also, what sand/cement ratio would people suggest, and therefore how much sand and how much cement will I need? I've seen anything between 2:1 and 4:1 mentioned, and that the volume of sand is equal to the volume of screed.

Thanks in anticipation ...

Further info: The terrace is in a very exposed location and will see big temperature changes between summer and winter. In winter it will see frost cycles, which have led to the breakup of the existing screed, which is why I also intend to apply a polymeric waterproofing layer. The plasticiser is recommended by the manufacturer of the waterproofing system.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Quantity of Water Required When Making Screed to Repair Concrete Terrace

Post by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:39 pm

you will need to add fibres to the screed to stop it from cracking, 4 sand to 1 cement ratio, If you hold the screed in your hand, and your able to make a fist, without it falling apart, or squeezing through your fingers, that's the consistency you require

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:15 am