Question on a specific term (pre-treatment of substrate)
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

TranslatorMan
Labourer
Labourer

Question on a specific term (pre-treatment of substrate)

by TranslatorMan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Dear users,

sorry for intruding, I'm not quite sure whether I'm right here. But I'm kinda desperate ...
I am currently doing a large translation job from German to English (Technical Data Sheets). Usually I'm quite good at finding the right English translations for even the weirdest German construction terms. But with this one I'm lost: "fluatieren".

A quick translation of a German definition of the process:

Neutralisation of mineral plaster/render substrates in order to reduce alkalinity. The effectiveness of "fluates" is based on a reaction of the fluates/flousilicates with the lime coating of lime and cement plasters.
Fluates are non-effective on gypsum and loam plasters. Fluates are used for the prevention of lime efflorescences on new renders or repaired areas as well as to isolate/control (not sure here) water stains.

Is there any English verb that would describe a similar process?

I know this is not a DIY topic in the strictest sense. But I do hope to find some professionals here who might be able to help me.

This discussion might be helpful as well, though there hasn't been a satisfactory answer yet:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/german_to_eng ... ieren.html

Thank you very much for even reading through this ....

Greetings from Germany

It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:28 am