radiator flow problem

Postby capnbirdseye » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:18 pm

One of our rads takes a long time to get hot compared to the others & I noticed by feeling the pipes that it seems to be taking in water from the cooler return pipe rather than the hot flow pipe.

The returning cooled water then goes into the flow pipe which is a bad idea,
how can I make it draw in from the flow pipe rather than the other way round?
capnbirdseye
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby DONFRAMAC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:34 am

It looks as though this one radiator is piped the wrong way round, but that would only cause a flow problem with old-fashioned one-way TRV's. Modern ones accept flow in either direction and have flow arrows pointing in both directions. If yours is a uni-directional one, just change it for the new type, as it really doesn't matter if the hot enters via the IRV.
DONFRAMAC
Progress to next rank:
96.7%

Postby marrtin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:27 pm

I agree with DONFRAMAC but the most likely reason the radiator is slow to warm is because hot water is finding an easier route round the system than through that rad. I would suggest balancing the system first to see if this solves the problem. Read the article on how to balance central heating in the projects section of this website.

[url]http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/balancingcentralheatingsystems.htm[/url]
marrtin
Progress to next rank:
58%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!