Radiator positions
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Harworth
Labourer
Labourer

Radiator positions

by Harworth » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:41 pm

I am about to completely refit a bedroom in our house, right down to floorboards replacing etc. Since we have enough room to almost stand upright under our floors (it's a bungalow) it is a perfect opportunity also to do any wiring and plumbing changes too while I have the floor up. Almost all the radiators in rooms in my house where there is an external wall have been fitted underneath windows when the central heating was put in (presumably somewhere in the 1970s - although I've replaced all the radiators with new ones since moving in) my question is, I seem to recall that this idea of putting radiators under windows is now considered a bad idea - is this so? If so, it's an ideal opportunity for me to move this particular one onto another wall.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:44 am

When i was doing up my place i was thinking the same thing, but compromised & fitted larger windowsills that came out over the top of the radiator & deflected the heat in-front of the curtains. You still need a good gap at the top & bottom to ensure good convection/air-flow.
It also saved on curtain material down to the floor.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Under windows is the correct positioning of radiators, if you have curtains to the floor - when closed tuck them behind the radiator.

The idea of this position is that any draughts/cool air will be heated - therefore not causing a nuisance.

htg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1