radiator removal from a pressurised heating system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
madworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

radiator removal from a pressurised heating system

Post by madworld » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 pm

hi folks

looking for some advice.

i hav a grant 26 condensing boiler.i would like to remove the radiator in the kitchen to decorate behind.

what i would like to know. is there any way of removing the radiator without emptying the system, re filling and re pressurising the system.

have been told there is, which involves turning the radiator of at the valves de pressurising the boiler then un doing the nuts which are attached to the radiator on the pipes coming out the floor.lifting the radiator of the wall still full of water.

would this work?

many thanks for any info.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Re: radiator removal from a pressurised heating system

Post by acsimpson » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:34 am

"have been told there is, which involves turning the radiator of at the valves de pressurising the boiler then un doing the nuts which are attached to the radiator on the pipes coming out the floor.lifting the radiator of the wall still full of water.

would this work?"

You have it basically right and I'm guessing that it's a typo but onec you close the radiator valves then you need to depresurise the radiator using the bleed valve rather than the boiler. Next make sure that you have someway to catch the liquid which will escape and undo the nuts on the radiator side of the valve. Once the radiator is off the wall quickly turn it upside down before taking it outside to finish draining it if required.

If you are only wanting access behind it to allow you to decorate then you can often loosen the nuts a little and simply lower the radiator to the floor without loosing too much fluid from the radiator.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1