Radiator removed, how to tell what BTU it is?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kartman
Labourer
Labourer

Radiator removed, how to tell what BTU it is?

by kartman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:34 pm

I have just removed a double rad from my kitchen as it is not needed in there. I now want to fit a rad in the adjoining conservatory and want to use a double 300mm rad, i wish to use one that has the same BTU so the system remains unchanged. How do i tell what BTU the old rad is?........Martin

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:29 pm

Not easy as all designs are different. Check the web for screwfix or B&Q for panel radiators and compare sizes. This should give you a rough guide.

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:13 pm

it may be wiser to use a btu calculator to work out the heat output required for the actual room you intend to install the radiator, since the one from your kitchen may have been too strong or not powerul enough. Either way, it's a potential overexpenditure of money in short or long term.

can't really see that it should make much of a difference to the system - at worse you may have to rebalance it (see project pages for details of how to do this)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1