radiator/towel rail problem
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
IMERNATER
Labourer
Labourer

radiator/towel rail problem

by IMERNATER » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:47 am

i have a problem with heated towel rail in bathroom . it is electric and piped up (plumbing) but it has stopped working, I think it strange how electric and pipes dont work, before i pay a plumber to replace or look at I was hoping someone could give me a clue, i was going to try and take it down and clean it, thinking it might be full of sludge!! but can't see how to turn the water off and worried about flooding. i am a novice and any advise would be welcomed. Thanks Paul. (have a back boiler , if that makes any difference?)

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:26 pm

I assume the radiator is a dual fuel, ie, heats by hot water when the central heating is on, but stays warm when it is off by an electrical element contained within the radiator.

You don't mention if the radiator gets hot at all either when the element is on or the heating is on. Have you tried bleeding the rad?

I would not expect the fault to be a sludged up radiator but if you feel the need to check, screw down both the rad valves and drain the water from the rad and remove the unit. Be aware if one of the valves is a thermostatic because they do not always switch off entirely, and can open up unexpectedly if the room temp drops.

IMERNATER
Labourer
Labourer

by IMERNATER » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:07 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]I assume the radiator is a dual fuel, ie, heats by hot water when the central heating is on, but stays warm when it is off by an electrical element contained within the radiator.

You don't mention if the radiator gets hot at all either when the element is on or the heating is on. Have you tried bleeding the rad?

I would not expect the fault to be a sludged up radiator but if you feel the need to check, screw down both the rad valves and drain the water from the rad and remove the unit. Be aware if one of the valves is a thermostatic because they do not always switch off entirely, and can open up unexpectedly if the room temp drops.[/quote]

yes its duel, and no it doesnt warm up at all, any ideas it is a myson and cost oer £320 over 5 years ago, any ideas ? (and thanks for reply) . triedbleeding but from the top? thats why i thought bottom might be blocked but i am a novice.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:39 pm