radiator valves - which is which?

Postby foxspurs » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:41 am

I am balancing my central heating radiators. I understand the difference between Lockshield and Wheelhead valves BUT my valve caps are all missing so is there an easy way to identify which is which?
eg Is the radiatir bleed-valve always on the same side of the radiator as the Lockshield valve? or is the Lockshield valve always on the side of the radiator where the pipe ( inlet pipe? ) heats up first, once the system is turned on?
Any advice appreciated.
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:24 am


Simply Build It

Postby nitro23456 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:54 pm

NORMALLY a wheelhead or trv are on the flow and the lockshield is on the return.
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:19 pm

Postby htg engineer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:11 pm

Both valves are the same, the only difference being the lockshield has a cap to stop the valve being altered. The wheelhead can be turned to turn radiator on and off.

htg engineer
Posts: 3219
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Postby plumbbob » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:08 pm

The lock shield in a text book installation is fitted in the return side which is the colder end.
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:59 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics