Radiators become hot at the 'hot water only setting'.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neko
Labourer
Labourer

Radiators become hot at the 'hot water only setting'.

by neko » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi, I’m new here – glad to have found this site.

My problem is that even though I changed the setting of the heating system (Potterton Netaheat) to the hot water only, the radiators are still very hot.
The same problem happened a year ago and I called an engineer – he fixed it, but at the beginning of winter, the radiators didn’t warm up, so I called him again and he fixed it again.
I’m a bit fed up having the same problem every time I change the setting.
I’d like to ask your advice – is this something I can fix by myself?
Should I call the same engineer or someone else?

Thanks for your time.

Neko

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:07 pm

it seems like your 'engineer' may simply have locked the three port valve in one position if you have that set up....
ask around for an electrician who wires central heating systems for local plumbers, there is bound to be one, he should be able to check the system.

neko
Labourer
Labourer

by neko » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:24 pm

Thanks so much for your reply – I didn’t realise the problem is in the field of electrician, rather than heating engineer.

Thanks again,
neko

neko
Labourer
Labourer

by neko » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Thanks so much for your reply – I didn’t realise the problem is in the field of electrician, rather than heating engineer.

Thanks again,
neko

The Flying
Labourer
Labourer

by The Flying » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:52 pm

Hi, that is good advice, a spark will sort your problem. Tell him to have a look at your Y-plan in your wiring centre.

beanie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by beanie » Wed May 02, 2007 8:29 pm

i had a similer prob just not as bad
my heating engineer showed me were the 3 way valve was and he took the top (stepper motor/soliniod) part off and freed up the valve part which can stick, it was very easy to do and i,d be able to do it next time.

as i understand it the hot water comes up a pipe from boiler then there is a T section of pipe with a valve on top, (which may be sticking) hot water one way central heating the other or fully open for both, mine is located next to the hot water tank in the airing cuboard.

hope this helps you

stubanks
Apprentice
Apprentice

by stubanks » Fri May 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Beanie...how do you take the motorized part off as I have the same problem. Do you need to drain the system down as it will leak out when you do this? Thanks

beanie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by beanie » Fri May 04, 2007 9:33 pm

na it was easy, i only watched but the top soliniod part was only cliped or screwed on to the T section which has the valve in.

on my one there is no chance of it leaking, the water stays in the T section of pipe, there is a little lever that pokes out and the soliniod part moves the lever.

the soliniod just sits on the lever which is sealed in the pipe section.

its difficult to explain hope you understand, be carefull though as the soliniod has mains power going to it, my man left the power on though while he fiddled, if it was me i may have turned it off.

stubanks
Apprentice
Apprentice

by stubanks » Sat May 05, 2007 8:28 pm

Cheers Beanie....I removed it with 2 x screws and worked the valve up and down with a spanner to free it. Seems to be ok but if it goes again i'll change the whole unit. They are selling for around £25 - £30 on ebay.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1