Radilas vs Ring circuits
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sparkydelux
Tradesman
Tradesman

Radilas vs Ring circuits

by Sparkydelux » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:32 pm

Hi,I am inquisitive to find what other peoples views are on running radials or ring circuits.

I'm wiring a new build and having some problems getting the ring circuit all around the house due to steel beams in the way.The house is a timber build with steel structure.

the house is very large.10m high and a large area.I can run rings where possible but radials are appearing to be a better option for me (in some cases)

I would like to know if they differ much in anyway,besides floor covering area and MCB amperage?

If I can use some radials in areas less accessible it would help me.The major areas like kitchen and lounge I can run rings,the other areas do seem harder with regards to completing routes.

Any views would be greatly appreciated.Advice would also be welcomed.

Thanks again for your time.

fabriqnumba
Labourer
Labourer

sparkydelux:- rings radials

by fabriqnumba » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:51 pm

being an electrician on most domesticated properties when carrying out a rewire i always try to go for a radial circuit over a ring main. the reason for this is its easier to do and easier to carry out testing.
a 2.5mm ring main is fed from 32a mcb. the equivalent in radial is a 4mm fed off 32a mcb.
a 2.5mm radial can only be fed off a max 20amp mcb.
if the house in question is monster of a house with a hug amount of power consumption(appliances etc) then maybe go for ring main but think u hav covered the main area for consumption, the kitchen so the other socket circuits ie up down etc just stick a 32a 4mm radial on each it saves some time.
1 little prob wiv the 4mm radial system is getting certain types of socket fronts onto 25mm back boxes due to cable size bein larger.
hope thats helped u a little

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi, radials are gaining popularity for the reasons you state & others, if you use a 4.0mm radial on a 32A MCB then area is not much less than a ring and you can tee off almost at random,
20A on 2.5mm abit more limited but again very useful,
both are easier to extend & fault find , downside is larger Con. Unit with more breakers, therefore slightly higher initial cost, but I think well worth it for awkward installs, regards,
SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:47 am