Rat infestation
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JAS1233
Labourer
Labourer

Rat infestation

by JAS1233 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:38 pm

My neighbour who resides in between myself and another neighbour (there are 3 houses together) had an extension built last year. For 12 weeks now we have all had rats in loft, cavity wall and under kitchen units and this has been absolutely dreadful to live with. The Council have surveyed our drains and the problem has been located next door in the old drains before the extension was built. Our neighbour has been reluctant to help with the situation despite pleading from both neighbours. In desperation I have been in touch with the building inspector who visited whilst the extension was being built as I thought that they would of checked the drains as the extension was being built.

I would be grateful if anyone could inform me whether the builder who built the extension would be held accountable for not properly dealing with the drains. Surely a rat infestation would not be overlooked when a builder has not done his job properly.

Thank you for any advice.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

rats

by welsh brickie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:43 pm

contact the enviromental health department.
Under health and safety act this problem must be rectified as soon as
possible.
they will take immediate action.

JAS1233
Labourer
Labourer

rat infestation

by JAS1233 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:42 pm

Environment Health have been involved they came out with the technicians to survey drains. The old kitchen drainage in my neighbour's extension has not been capped off at all and the Council seem to think that this is the problem. The builder has been called back to put two bungs in the drains and the building inspector is coming out to check it.

Surely all you builders will know whether it is your responsibility to ensure that drains are correctly dealt with when carrying out work and if this is not the case are builder's held accountable for not doing a job properly?

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:57 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:09 am