Rattling Spacer Bars in new Georgian Style Windows
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
grad1000
Labourer
Labourer

Rattling Spacer Bars in new Georgian Style Windows

by grad1000 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:50 am

Hello,
I'm looking for some advice with the latest issue we have with our new windows.

We recently had 2 new windows fitted, both to the front of the house. These are georgian style with the spacer bars crossed inside the panel.

The downstairs window rattled (like in the video below) from day one, all day long, and was replaced as faulty by the manufacturer of the unit, system 3.

The upstairs one seemed ok at the time. We have recently only just moved into the room where the window is and noticed it rattling recently when the outside temp was cold. it would rattle when a car passed outside, this actually woke us up on this one morning.

I've gone back to the supplier and told them the other original window is now rattling the same as the first, albeit in certain conditions, possibly weather related. They've told me this is not a fault and should be expected?

I find this hard to believe, especially as the replacement window they fitted didn't show any of these signs when under the same conditions.

Anyway, long story short, is this acceptable even if it has only happened once so far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nrjHWLoq1g

Thanks.

taskersglazing
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Rattling Spacer Bars in new Georgian Style Windows

by taskersglazing » Wed May 11, 2016 10:28 am

Hi,
As i cannot tell if the bars are part of the frame or are supposed to be stuck on the glass i have 2 possible solutions for you.
1st. If the bars are part of the frame then i suggest running a very thin line of silicone around the bars. this should stop the movement. i only suggest doing this if you have no joy with your supplier and are good with a silicone gun

2nd. if the bars come off the frame thern i suggest taking them off and putting small bits of 1mm double sided tape on the bars to hold them to the glass. Dont over do it with the tape as putting the bars back will be an issue as once it sticks it can be a pain getting them back off. use a sharp stanley blade if that happens

Brendan

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:08 pm