rcd on cu tripping after splitting ring into 2 radials
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sleven
Labourer
Labourer

rcd on cu tripping after splitting ring into 2 radials

by sleven » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:54 pm

i wanted to start rewiring my house. i found that one of the ring ckts feeds hall/bed 1/bed 2 and a socket in the kitchen
using continuity testing and live voltage metering i split the ring in the kitchen and found what i thought was the leg back to the cu - great so split into 2 radials. i also found the other leg of the ring at the kitchen socket and disconnected it.
then split (temporarily) into 2 16a radials so i can start rewiring the bedrooms without affecting the kitchen. however the martindale socket tester shows everything is okay in the kitchen but as soon as i plug an appliance in the rcd at the cu trips. the other radial at the bedrooms seems fine. i don't even have to switch the appliances on before the rcd trips.
hopefully this makes sense? can anyone comment please???

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:38 pm

take the socket off. make sure you have your earths and neutrals the right way round.

sleven
Labourer
Labourer

by sleven » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:35 am

spent yesterday evening pondering the problem - as cu is new (fitted professionally) i am not familiar with it. i had wired the neutral to the wrong side of the neutral bar - doh. changed it over this morning and all is well.
thanks for the suggestion.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:06 pm