RCD tripping in my consumer unit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marathon
Labourer
Labourer

RCD tripping in my consumer unit

by marathon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Evening all.

The RCD tripped off about an hour ago taking out all my downstairs sockets. I have isolated the problem to the MCB controlling the kitchen sockets and although I have unpugged or switched off all appliances in the kitchen, the RCD keeps tripping when the kitchen MCB is on. We also have no heating as the boiler is on the kitchen circuit. :roll:

Does any one have any ideas other than putting on 5 jumpers and calling out a sparky?

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:34 pm

marathon,
Assuming the system worked before you need to trace the cause of the fault. Disconnect everything using the circuit (switching off is not enough) -if the RCD still trips its sparky time.
end

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:55 pm

It is likely that some items are on hidden plugs or fused connection units. Some switches are double pole but some are single and a neutral earth fault can still exist and trip RCD if a single pole switch.

Also loading can cause a neutral earth fault to become apparent where it does not trip when not under load. So although switching on kitchen ring causes the RCD to trip the problem still may be else where.

Try switching everything else off then try kitchen.

It is very rare for fault to be in wiring more likely appliance.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:50 pm