RCD with RCM but what price?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

RCD with RCM but what price?

by ericmark » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:31 pm

OK we read the trade mags and we see all the new products.
I read about auto resetting RCD's but the £350 price tag is a tad off putting.
The Moeller Xpole RCD's seem the bee's knees they say:-
The digital RCD will always monitor the current system status. If the system's current moves to earth within a range of 0 to 30 percent of the set nominal residual current (IΔN), a green LED will indicate that everything is fine. If the LED changes to yellow this calls for caution, indicating a residual current that is within a range of 30 to 50 percent of the IΔN. This warning means that the level is rising - however the digital RCD does not cause nuicance tripping in this circumstance, but instead indicates that its tripping threshold is being approached. If the LED turns red, the residual current is moving above 50 percent of the IΔN. The system is in a state of alarm and the digital RCD will only trip if the residual current increases beyond 90% of the IΔN.

Now that sounds really good. But my attempts to find a supplier and as a result a price have failed. Has anyone used these and if so how much and what did they think.

Four new products will be introduced that incorporate this new digital RCD technology, two RCBOs and a two-pole and four-pole RCD. But no part numbers given.

Seems part of the Xpole series.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:09 pm

ERICMARK
I have recently had a customer inquiry requesting prices of these type of reseting rcds . i have made inquires myself and will let you know eric if i recieve any info back. Maybe when sparx sees your post , he might have seen these devices about or info.

BLAKEY1963

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:39 pm

The auto reset type by Gewiss cost around £350 each. They are a completely different unit. They after tripping test the line and if clear re-connect I think up to three times. If my Dad dies before my Mum I would consider one for her house as she can't access under stairs to reset. But more likely I would move whole consumer unit to where she can access.

There is also a version that monitors leakage and only trips if the increase over a set time is over the limits set. Again expensive.

But the one I was referring to is far simpler. Instead of tripping between 50% and 100% it trips between 90% and 100% plus has a spike system to stop thunder storms tripping them. So step one less likely to trip in error.

Second it has an indicator and at 30% changes colour then again at 50% so where computers and like are slowly adding to leakage you have a warning before the point (90%) when it will trip.

Google here "moeller.net/en/company/news/news_products/pm_200804_digitaler_fi.jsp" . Tells all about them but it is the price which seems to be problem. There is no site where I have found them advertised and it would be nice to have some idea of price.

Other than write up which says 4 models not much found and from pictures it seems two are B16 RCBO's and the remaining two look as if the ratting will be too small for consumer unit use. Plus one seems to be 4 module wide so could be a problem fitting.

There seems to be a 5th but that one has adjustable settings for milliamp and delay so could not be used in domestic. OK I could use it but what happens when we want to sell house. Advertise as for competent persons only!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:41 pm