Re-connecting phone line
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tribalpool
Labourer
Labourer

Re-connecting phone line

Post by tribalpool » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:34 am

hi folks im looking for some help :?
I want to get my phone reconnected, which is free to do....if you have a working telephone line and box in the premises. Problem is - i ripped mine out, cut the wire and put it under the carpet when i was decorating (me in my wise wisdom that i would never need one). Now i do as im going to get broadband instead of the mobile broadband that i have from 3
If i need to get a BT engineer out to reconnect the line it will cost £115 (roughly).
Does any1 know how i can DIY this and reconnect the cable myself?
Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers

remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by remelad » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi tribalpaul,
you will need to go to wholesaler's and purchase an NTE 5A phone socket including mounting box. On the back of socket are 2 srew terminals marked A and B this is where you connect your phone wire. If you have old colour code cable you need to connect the white to A terminal and orange to B terminal if its the newer cable you need to connect the white/blue to A terminal and blue/white to B terminal.
Regards Remelad.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:11 pm

do you need landline for broadband?

aceone
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by aceone » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:33 pm

hi...unless you have still got the box you removed,you will have to get bt to put one in

tribalpool
Labourer
Labourer

Post by tribalpool » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:21 pm

thanks remelad, done what you said, had to buy the insertion tool aswell though :lol:
all going well it should be gettin connected tomorrow.
Aceone why you think BT engineer had to do it? i bought the stuff from B+Q, and as far as i know it should work.
Cheers for the help peeps

remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by remelad » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi Tribalpool
got your name right this time, any way if you had to buy an insertion tool i take it you did not buy an NTE 5A, but i do hope the socket that you bought was a 2/1a. They do sell 2/3a's , the difference is the 2/3a is an extension socket where as the 2/1a is a main socket.You have to have a main socket 1st as this has a capacitor a surge protector and a resistor in it. Without the capacitor the phone will not ring.If it's wrong i'm sure the B.T engineer will fit one for you and not charge you if he's a good bloke. I hope all goes well for you.
Regards Remelad.

aceone
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by aceone » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:36 pm

hi tribalpool....best check you have the correct box,(NTE 5A) dont think they sell them in B+Q..if they turn up and its wrong you might be landed with a £100 + bill

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Post by acsimpson » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:49 am

[quote="aceone"]hi tribalpool....best check you have the correct box,(NTE 5A) dont think they sell them in B+Q..if they turn up and its wrong you might be landed with a £100 + bill[/quote]

Hi, If a NTE5A box is the same thing as a master box which I guess it is then B&Q do indeed sell them. The MK logic plus range (http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/PDF/technic ... S_tech.pdf) has a master socket which I think uses an insertion tool rather than screws but definately includes surge protection and ringing capacitor.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Post by acsimpson » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi, I'm afraid my previous post was not entirely accurate.

Having now wired the MK socket above I think that my above post was not entirely accurate. The NTE5A box is supplied by BT and has a seperate section where BT do their wiring and a front plate section where consumer wiring is done. The MK socket does the same job including ringing functionality on connected secondary sockets. however it does not have seperate consumer and supplier sections and so depending on which engineer calls BT may not be happy with it.

remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by remelad » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:05 am

Hi acsimpson
its only 2 screws where bt connect on the NTE 5A instructions givern in earlier post. The front plate you mention was desinged for customers to legally install hard wired extension sockets. The 2/1A is also a main socket however it is not legal for customers to remove the front cover to run an extn. It is possible to by NTE 5A's but you need to go to a electrical wholesaler.
Only tribalpool can end this, would like to know how he got on with phone reconnection.
Regards Remelad

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:35 pm