Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mikee55
Labourer
Labourer

Re-opening a closed toilet

by mikee55 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Hello.

I'm in a Council house thats been adapted for disabled use. Because no member of my family is disabled, I'd like to reverse the downstairs toilet situation. Traditionaly these house had a downstairs loo outside the back door. Ours has been closed and is just a tool room. We have an extension that is a wheelchair roll in shower, and has a toilet and small basin. This room is off our dining room and I would like to put the toilet back outside.
My question, the old soil pipe in the floor was closed with concrete. I've carefully re-opened the opening to the soil pipe expecting some smell and moisture. However its dry and don't smell. Why? Is it likely to be closed elsewhere?

I can't get no info from the Council.

Cheers

Mike :D

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:46 pm

It is unlikely to have been capped off elsewhere, but of course that can't be guaranteed.

Just because there is no smell, does not mean it is still sealed. It may be fine to use.

Lift a manhole cover downstream and tip water down the pipe and check if it is flowing ok.

mikee55
Labourer
Labourer

Hello plumbbob

by mikee55 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi, thanks for replying. I lifted the neareset cover and tipped a jug of water down the hole, as my son watched and he confirmed water pasasing.

Thanks again.

Mike :D

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:32 am