Re-painting my bathroom wall problem
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sureflow
Labourer
Labourer

Re-painting my bathroom wall problem

by sureflow » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi Painters,

I just painted over my old existing paint on my bathroom wall with "Dulux + bathroom walls and ceiling soft sheen" paint and it went all ripply. It looks like it didn't take at all! What didn't i do before hand to stop this from happening?!

Matthew.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:44 am

Hi sureflow, before anyone can answer your question it would help if we knew what paint was on it before and maybe a bit more info on the condition of the walls before you painted them as there could be a number of reasons for this happening. Let us know.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:04 pm

What finish was the paint you painted over?

Can you provide a better technical description than "all ripply" Do you mean "orange peel" effect? That is caused by the paint either being applied too thickly or too thinly. Anyway a better description of the problem would help please. Perhaps you might also upload a pic somewhere and link back here. Thanks.

Cheers

sureflow
Labourer
Labourer

by sureflow » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi There,

The wall i am having a problem with is a plasterboard stud wall. The room is a bathroom and it is painted with the original paint when the flat was constructed in 1993. The paint had a semi sheen and i painted it first with a watered down contract white emulsion.

Matt.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:24 pm

"The paint had a semi sheen"

Sounds like your new paint just hasn't adhered to the old. Get out the old scratch and give it a good keying first. Then overpaint. Make sure you get down underneath the first coat you applied and get the sheen off. Alternative would be to give it a coat of oil based undercoat first and whilst that would have sorted it on the old paint it won't help now if its your "watered down" coat that hasn't stuck.

"and i painted it first with a watered down contract white emulsion."

Why?

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:20 am