Re-pointing
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jimmyjack
Labourer
Labourer

Re-pointing

by Jimmyjack » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:35 pm

A tradesman has recently worked on a penetrating damp problem I had in a Victorian sandstone house. The damp was caused by a leaking gutter. He stopped the leak, removed the perished surface sandstone and pointing and treated the surface with a silicone spray. He only re-pointed part of the wall (high up where the leak was landing), stating that there is no need to replace the rest as the silicone treatment is enough protection. He did quote to 'remove and replace perished pointing'.

Is this correct or should he replace the pointing?

Cheers.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

repointing

by welsh brickie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:34 pm

Sounds like he fulfilled his contract as stated, if you wanted the entire wall repointed you should have said so.

Jimmyjack
Labourer
Labourer

Re: repointing

by Jimmyjack » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:23 pm

welsh brickie wrote:Sounds like he fulfilled his contract as stated, if you wanted the entire wall repointed you should have said so.

The agreement was to reinstate removed pointing, not to reinstate some of the removed pointing. Accepting quotes can sometimes be based on the particular details I am sure you will agree. Afterall, the job was not to do the entire wall, only the bits that were perished and therefore removed.

Regardless, the question was whether leaving parts of the wall without pointing is the correct approach. As it happens I have addressed this with the tradesman and he is returning to complete the pointing. To be clear, he has done a good job so far and I will use him again!

Cheers for your opinion.

Jimmyjack
Labourer
Labourer

Re-pointing

by Jimmyjack » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:53 am

Posted a reply with quote yesterday but not sure where it is.

Thank you for your response but I fear my post has been misinterpreted. The agreement was to remove perished strap pointing and then replace. The tradesman replaced only some of what he removed, stating that the silicone will do the job on the un-pointed areas.

My query was whether leaving stonework without pointing was a good or bad idea, even with silicone applied.

Regardless, they are returning today to complete the job after discussing it with them.

Cheers.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:40 pm