re-pointing
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
graham_woodwarduk
Labourer
Labourer

re-pointing

by graham_woodwarduk » Wed May 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi,

I need a wall re-pointing and I was planning on getting some quotes but can anyone give me any recommendations on what I should ask for? I obviously don't want some fly by night to quote me for a job that he'll end up doing a half soaked job on.

The job is about 4 square meters and there's no obvious holes in the pointing, otherwise I'd have a crack myself (sorry about the pun).

At first I thought it might have been the damp proof course because on the inside of the wall, there was damp only up to about a meter from the floor. I removed all the plaster and the damp proof engineer done the inside (as it was under guarantee). He's convinced it's the pointing as the lowest layer of bricks are bone dry but the ones above get more damp.

If I get someone to quote me, what should I ask? I understand he should remove the old pointing to 12cm? Should his work come with a guarantee etc?

Thanks for any guidance?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: re-pointing

by welsh brickie » Thu May 17, 2012 3:39 pm

if there is no holes or gaps in the pointing,and there is no evidence of any cracks in the brickwork,why have it repointed?
paint the area with aquaseal,a silicone based,clear waterproof paint, that will seal the entire area from damp

graham_woodwarduk
Labourer
Labourer

by graham_woodwarduk » Thu May 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi thanks for the reply. The house is about 100 years old so the brickwork and pointing isn't perfect. When I say there's no obvious holes/cracks that's my opinion. A profession might be able to point to some problems. There's certainly no holes that go right through but there's bits missing and corners of bricks that have come away etc, what'd you expect for a 100 year old I guess.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Thu May 17, 2012 8:58 pm

then repoint the loose area and paint with the silicone paint.State you only want the loose repaired.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm