Re-positioning an existing double glazed kitchen door
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vinay
Labourer
Labourer

Re-positioning an existing double glazed kitchen door

by vinay » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:29 pm

Hi,
(re-fitting an existing double glazed door)
This seems to be a great site. My double glazed kitchen door was installed in the cavity left after the wooden door was removed. Unfortunately the builder did not make an allowance for the UPVC door frame. As a result, Apart from the existing inner step in the kitchen, one has to climb over the frame. The drop on the other side is therefore quite a lot. (To make matters worse, my dog flap is also much higher, leading to an unhappy pooch).

My question was:
Is it relatively straightforward to remove the door, cut a channel in the step to the depth of the frame, and then re-install the door and fill in the gap on top of the door? The entire door will be lower, but almost flush with the tread / step below.

Hope to hear from you soon. Cheers

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:52 am

That in itself is not a problem Vinay but of course you will need to cut away a portion of the step to allowq the door to close into the frame. This may weaken the construction (unlikely) but from here its not possible to say how difficult it would be. Filling the top may be the hardest part because the door will bang against the frame and whatever you put in the hole needs to be very solid. Doubtless it will also contraveine the insulation regulations as well because it will probably be of a different construction than the rest of the wall. This can be overcome by using a cellotex panel or similar in, or stuck to whatever is in, the hole, but we are pointing these things out to show you that it may not be as simple as you envisaged. There is nothing at all stopping you doing so and, if you are careful and it does not work, you can always put it back.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:14 am