Re: RCD...Need confirmation
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
KenAragorn
Labourer
Labourer

Re: RCD...Need confirmation

by KenAragorn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:14 pm

Hi,

About 1 hour ago, the electricity just went off.Firstly, I though was something to do with the jumper*. But the jumper* did not jump off to OFF mode.It is still on its ON mode.
Then, I ask 1 of the management guy to come and take a look at it.He's actually the technician of our condo here. So, after like 2 - 3 minutes of checking (look around at the fuse box), he told me that my RCD is dead*.

Then he told me that, in order to temp make it work (because is like 10pm - kind of late and he don't have a new RCD), he will need to connect the main power wire to my house main fuse power core.

He told me that is quite normal for a RCD like mine to be broken after 1-2 years. He willing to get for me a new RCD which will charge me quite a lot.

My question is, how valid* the statement that he make ?Sorry, I really have no idea about....RCD, fuse box...technically.Need some input...cause I feel like been cheated.

Thx.

ARD
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ARD » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:52 pm

Some RCDs need to be reset. Try switching it to the off position and then back on. If this doesn't work, or, you feel a resistance but it won't stay on, un plug everything in your home. If the RCD will then reset then you know you hve a faulty appliance. Then plug each appliance back in. When the RCD goes off you have found the fault.

Most RCDs will give you trouble free service for many years, and if it does need replacing then you would only be expecting to pay £50 for the job, they do not cost that much these days.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:16 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:12 am