Re-Sealing a Kitchen Sink and not Sure What to use
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

harrylentil
Labourer
Labourer

Re-Sealing a Kitchen Sink and not Sure What to use

by harrylentil » Tue May 02, 2017 1:16 am

I have a new steel kitchen sink in a new laminate worktop, two months old and the sealing strip around it is coming away already. I want to get something to patch the gaps in the sealing strip as it progressively comes away - what though?

The worktop is black, the sink stainless steel, and the sealing strip is clear. I think clear sealant is best here. I'm no use with a sealant gun but I would do my best. Since the sealing strip hasn't lasted - only along the most-cleaned edge though, the other 3 edges are OK - I thought Bostik clear glue might work, just squeeze it out of the tube. Or Bostik Clear Waterproof Leak Repair Sealant, an outdoor compound, cheap enough, needs a gun. Or clear PVA glue.

The initial job would need only about 10-20ml of sealant. If I got a 290ml cylinder (of the Bostik for example) would it cure in the cylinder if I left the remainder? I'm sure I need something I can re-apply occasionally.

It is currently Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:10 pm