(Re)Wiring a garage conversion
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wiimixer
Labourer
Labourer

(Re)Wiring a garage conversion

by wiimixer » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:58 am

I'm in the process of dividing a garage into two small units. Creating an office/workshop, and the remainder used for pushbikes etc. (as no longer big enough for car!)

The house is mid 90s, and has a seperate CCU in the garage, with 2 circuits: 1. with a 5a fuse for the lighting (currently one light, 2 switches), and
2. with a 20a fuse for the sockets.

I'd like to have a sperately switched light in each unit. How would the current arrangement be best modified for this?

Also, I'd like to have a several sockets in the new workshop for the following: computer/printer/stereo + small HEATER

Plus, I'd like a socket in the garage for a tumble dryer.

Can anyone advise a suitable way to wire the outlets, and whether it is possible from the exisiting 20amp circuit.

Note: I don't intend to do the work myself, just want to put wiring into correct locations before putting plasterboard up.

Thanks,
Ces

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:30 pm

On the lighting side, it depends on how the existing circuit is wired.

I'll guess based on a single light at the moment.

There is 1 of two ways it will be wired.

1) A cable from the CU goes to the light then another cable goes from the light to the switch.

In this case you would run a cable from light 1 to where you want light 2 and then run another cable from where you want light 2 to where you want the light switch to be.

2) A cable comes from the CU to the light switch then another cable goes from the light switch to the light.

In this case you would want to run a cable from the light switch to where you want the new light switch, then run another cable from the new light switch to where you want the new light.

On the sockets side. I don't know. I have a feeling you may need to upgrade the 20a circuit to a 32a ring main but there are others on here who can better advise. Bear in mind if you have to upgrade it might mean having to upgrade right back to the main feed from the house CU depending on the cabling used at time of install.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:45 pm

Hi no way will you be able to load existing supply as you desire,
drier 3 kW small heater say 2 kW = 21A without any other load.
Futher you should get the PartP leckie who is going to do the connecting to either run the wiring or at least agree to routes first as he will be certifying as if he has done the whole job & is unreasonable to expect him to do so without some input early on.
He should also be able to indicate what sw/lt wiring will be needed,
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 am