recording sky with a sony dvd/HDD recorder

Postby johnbooth1963 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:25 am

[b]I have a problem finding the sky channels on my Sony DVD recorder. Can anyone help? The set-up is as follows, after looking at your connection advisor and all manuals:

TV is Panasonic TX-32LXD60
SKY Digibox
DVDrecorder is SONY RDR-HXD710

Sky VCR Scart to DVD Line 3
Sky TV scart to AV1 (RGB/Video) on the TV
DVD Line 1 TV scart to AV2 (RGB/Video/S-Video) on TV

Terrestrial Aerial not used
Sky dish to Sky Box
Sky RF 1 out to DVD aeriel in
DVD RF out to TV aeriel in

We can get sky listings and channels as normal on the TV, and a TV screen (no picture of course as no aerial) and we set up Line 3 so we can view the Sky listings through the DVD (but not very good quality) if that input is selected on thne remote.

Following the manuals, I set Line 3 in the DVD Scart setup to "Line 1 RGB;Line 3 in Video/RGB;Line 3 out Video". I have also tried this on Line 1 Video, others as before. What happens is that the DVD finds no channels at all during tuning.

When I put the terrestrial aeriel in, it found Freeview and other usual channels, as normal, but nothing from Sky. How can I get the Sony DVD to find the Sky channels?[/b]
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:07 pm

I have same TV and also Sky but DVD recorder Aldi and I seem the remember having problems when first setting up and I know DVD is connected to TV with Phono plugs and I seem to remember that was to cure the problems you have.
I also have second DVD player not got for DVD but to play MP3 music without needing TV to run and it also will play TV sound through hi-fi speakers this uses second SCART plug in TV so something had to use Phono input.
The TV also transmits through SCART and I can record Freeview picked up by TV with DVD recorder.
I fiddled for ages before it all worked and I seem to remember the SCART sockets on TV not the same and just swapping SCART plugs on TV changed how it all worked.
Its a wiring nightmare by time I include to PC and remote cans as well.
So I may have got things wrong but I don't really want to disturb things to test.

All best Eric

Postby TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:06 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!