Red light on pull switch in bathroom - important?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
baelf
Labourer
Labourer

Red light on pull switch in bathroom - important?

by baelf » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:56 am

Recently my wife went to turn on our shower using the pull switch and "something popped".

I opened up the switch and found that the little red wire that connects from the live to the red status light had scorch marks and it looked like the resistor had exploded. the wire was partly uncovered and I think it must have made contact with the earth.

I took out the little wires that connect to the red light and the shower works, but obviously you can't tell from a glance whether the switch is on or off.

Is it safe to leave it in this state? If not, what type of wire/resistors do I need to rewire the status light? the one I have is scorched so I can't see any markings.

Cheers

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:46 pm

The switch even though working should really indicate its status, either by light or wording,other people wont know if its on or off.

You would find it easier to buy the switch entirely new ,get a good branded make as showers take a high current.
Should be less than ten pound.
Check the mcb rating and if 45amp or less get a 45 amp double pole switch.
changing an accesory like a pull switch, although not notifiable in a bathroom ,must be done correct and should be tested at the shower unit after to confirm polarity and earthing ,as you proberly dont possess that testgear ,it may be wise to get it done proffessionally.
You should not compromise safety especially where there is water.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:30 pm