Reducing size after planning approval
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
burner
Labourer
Labourer

Reducing size after planning approval

by burner » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:10 am

Hi all,
i have a quick and hopefully simple question - last year i had the planning application approved for a single story extension, but budget constraints have now meant we're looking to reduce its size by about 25%. Do i need to reapply for planning permission, or just inform the local planning office of the changes?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Reducing size after planning approval

by welsh brickie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:42 pm

you need to re-submit plans for approval.

tony.g
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tony.g » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:01 am

Strictly speaking, you would need to re-apply for planning permission as the work you are proposing would not be in accordance with the submitted drawings. However, in practice, it is highly unlikely that the council would do anything if you are reducing the size as the impact on any neighbours will be lessened. (Don't bother asking the planning officer if you need to re-apply because by default they will always say "yes") - just build it.

SterlingTownPlanning
Labourer
Labourer

by SterlingTownPlanning » Tue May 08, 2012 11:23 pm

Apply for a non-material minor amendment application to your local council. This costs £25. All you have to do is submit the amended plans with the application forms and the £25 fee. They will stamp the plans (if acceptable) and send them back to you indicating formal approval of your revised scheme.

tony.g
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tony.g » Wed May 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Why bother paying the council £25 for a piece of paper saying its OK, when there's nothing in practice the council can do about it anyway?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1