Refusal of planning permission
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
szofar
Labourer
Labourer

Refusal of planning permission

by szofar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi
A friend has 2 shop properties together. He had shop fronts changed both with shutters one shop shutter is recessed and the other has projected shutter coil box due to metal beam behind.
After he fitted the fronts he was told he required planning permission. He submitted the plans and was refused due to the properties being in the Town Centre Conservation Area.
He has received a enforcement notice buy hand. The council have given him six months to remove the unauthorised shutters from the premises and reinstate the former shop front as it was previous.

Particulars of decision:

1 The installation of security shutters in the position proposed, obscuring the head of the window openings and incorporating projecting shutter coil boxes and shutter guides on the face of the building would create an unacceptable visual elements and be contrary to councils adopted policy on the installation of security shutters.
2 The new shop front, by reason of its design and use of materials, would be detrimental to the visual amenities of the area and if approved could set an undesirable precedent for the approval of similar poorly designed shop fronts constructed of inappropriate materials, which would be difficult to the refuse and would contrary to saved policies E10, E8, and R7 of the Local Plan as well as policies Env 6 and 7 of the Core Strategy.

Please can anyone help about this or if there is any loopholes or any argument which can be put forward on appeal.

Thanx

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Refusal of planning permission

by welsh brickie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:00 am

the council are very strict when it comes to consent of anything in a conservation area,you can appeal but I think its a waste of time,I suggest you call out the planning officer and discuss the matter and try to resolve the problem.

Garry1967
Labourer
Labourer

by Garry1967 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi. I've been refused planning saying that the entrance to the property could be a hazard. The entrance has been in constant use for 50 years so how can they refuse it on that. Does that mean I can't use my drive anymore because the highways department say it is dangerous. I've had my business there for fifteen years. Can anyone give me advise on this please

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 pm

because of the area your property is in they are very anal about any alterations no matter how small.
It pays to consult with these people face to face,you must bow down to them (little hitlers) and smile its the only way you can get your way.
Believe me losing your rag wont get you anywhere,an offer of a cup of tea and a yes sir,goes a long way.

Garry1967
Labourer
Labourer

by Garry1967 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks for the reply. The entrance is not Being altered because my workshop is round the back of the house which is why I don't understand why they refuse it on access. Nothing has changed. No more traffic as I live there anyway. Do you think it will go through on appeal. If they say it is dangerous surely it's down to the council to make it safe being their road and is used by public

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:37 pm

yes you can appeal and you may or may not get permission.In my opinion its best to consult with these people face to face, some of them can be really awkward so be polite.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1