Relocating a Socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
striker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Relocating a Socket

by striker » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi, I am going to knock down an internal block wall which connects a utility room to the kitchen. This wall is not a load bearing wall. On the wall is a chased in double socket kitchen side, and right behind the double socket, a trunked single socket which is a spur on the utility side. I need to relocate these to a party wall not too far away from the consumer unit which I will be doing before I knock the wall down.

What I was thinking of doing was disconnecting the T&E from the consumer unit and using this length (from the first socket it is connected to) for the new double socket and then installing some new T&E from the consumer unit to the new double socket. However, I need to know what I can do with the old cable. Can I feed these both into a junction box under the floorboards up stairs where the T&E for both the old socket currently lie. The junction box would be accessible by pulling up a little carpet and a small floor board.

More importantly, would this be notifiable under part p building regs?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Relocating a Socket

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:12 am

[quote="striker"]Hi, I am going to knock down an internal block wall which connects a utility room to the kitchen. This wall is not a load bearing wall. On the wall is a chased in double socket kitchen side, and right behind the double socket, a trunked single socket which is a spur on the utility side. I need to relocate these to a party wall not too far away from the consumer unit which I will be doing before I knock the wall down.

What I was thinking of doing was disconnecting the T&E from the consumer unit and using this length (from the first socket it is connected to) for the new double socket and then installing some new T&E from the consumer unit to the new double socket. However, I need to know what I can do with the old cable. Can I feed these both into a junction box under the floorboards up stairs where the T&E for both the old socket currently lie. The junction box would be accessible by pulling up a little carpet and a small floor board.

More importantly, would this be notifiable under part p building regs?[/quote]

STRIKER
If the kitchen socket is currently on the ring and the the utility
socket is spurred off it, then once the utility socket could be disconnected
( safe isolation proceedures first ) this would leave the two ends of the ring main . once pulled up in to the void beneath floor boards

these could be put into 2 separate 30 amp joint boxes to extend the two
legs of the ring main to meet your new position for this socket.
as u say u will make provision for these joint boxes to be accesable.
i would get in an electrician to check the work afterwards.
part p comes in with kitchen work and he can advise accordinly

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:47 am

You say Kitchen so special location so yes Part P but far too complicated to work out for others what is and what isn't Part P better to follow links in Projects and look for yourself. As to junction boxes, these must be accessible.
“What I was thinking of doing was disconnecting the T&E from the consumer unit and using this length (from the first socket it is connected to) for the new double socket and then installing some new T&E from the consumer unit to the new double socket.â€

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:39 pm