REMOVAL OF A LOAD BEARING WALL AND REPLACEMENT WITH A RSJ
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIYDAVE09
Apprentice
Apprentice

REMOVAL OF A LOAD BEARING WALL AND REPLACEMENT WITH A RSJ

Post by DIYDAVE09 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:30 am

CAN ANYONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION REGARDING THE MINIMUM LEGAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS THAT SHOULD, OR MUST, BE MET AS REGARDS 'SUPPORTING PIERS' REQUIRED TO HOLD UP A NEW RSJ WHICH HAS BEEN PUT IN PLACE TO REPLACE AN EXISTING INTERNAL LOAD-BEARING WALL? THE RSJ IS ABOUT 4 METRES LONG AND NOW HOLDS UP THE ENTIRE FIRST FLOOR OF THE PROPERTY IN QUESTION.
MANY THANKS,
D.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:35 pm

DIYDAVE09,
A lot depends on the size of the rsj but at least I would expect an end bearing of 200mm over the full width of the rsj.
end

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bd3cc » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:35 pm

And don't forget the padstone.

DIYDAVE09
Apprentice
Apprentice

RSJ AND PADSTONE

Post by DIYDAVE09 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:37 am

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES. I WONDER IF YOU CAN ENLIGHTEN ME ON WHAT A "PADSTONE" IS?
DAVE

ashymoko
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: RSJ AND PADSTONE

Post by ashymoko » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:15 pm

A padstone is a concrete pad either pre made or cast in situe. It sits on top of a pier usually constructed of engineering bricks and is usually a specification required by the building inspector or structual engineer as part of a load bearing support design. It gets specified with varient thicknesses but is ultimatley always the same dimensions of the pier itself.

In regards to your original post, the ony person that can make a decision on a load bearing specification over a 2m span is a structual engineer (who will usually design something totally over the top) but never the less an essential person in regards to keeping everyone in question happy about the support.
If its a job your looking to do then contact a structual engineer, its well worth the money and can save you a lot of hassle in regards to meeting requirements of the building control. He will issue you with a design with full calculations and specifics and will sign it.
If its a job thats been done and your looking for some reassurance of the support then contact a structual engineer and he will still work out the calcs and specifics.
Either way this service shouldnt cost you anymore than £200.

Ash

Amadi
Labourer
Labourer

Re: REMOVAL OF A LOAD BEARING WALL AND REPLACEMENT WITH A RS

Post by Amadi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 pm

[quote="DIYDAVE09"]CAN ANYONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION REGARDING THE MINIMUM LEGAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS THAT SHOULD, OR MUST, BE MET AS REGARDS 'SUPPORTING PIERS' REQUIRED TO HOLD UP A NEW RSJ WHICH HAS BEEN PUT IN PLACE TO REPLACE AN EXISTING INTERNAL LOAD-BEARING WALL? THE RSJ IS ABOUT 4 METRES LONG AND NOW HOLDS UP THE ENTIRE FIRST FLOOR OF THE PROPERTY IN QUESTION.
MANY THANKS,
D.[/quote]

For peace of mind (also a legal requirement!). I would first inform your local Building Inspector who will then suggest you get a structual engineer to work out the supports required.
The cost of the Building Notice Application and services of a structual engineer should be £200 - £250

good luck

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1