Removal of Chimney Breast After Damp Issues Solved

Postby NoClueStu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi,
Hoping I'm in the right place, if not apologies :$

I've recently had my chimney removed down to below roof level, basically because it was massive, old, redundant (as I have an electric fire and even that is rarely used) and it was letting in a lot of water causing damp and wall staining. All the problems have now stopped after getting this done which is lovely, but now I'm left thinking, do I really need the internal chimney breasts at all and can I use the space a bit more productively by removing them completely?

My question is what do I need to consider? What costs am I looking at for removal of the rest of the chimney within the loft area as well as front and back bedrooms on first floor and front room and kitchen on ground floor?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated
NoClueStu
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:56 am

Apart from the mess, obviously re plastering and you may need to extend the floor joists into the wall as they could be short after the stack is removed
welsh brickie

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!