Remove and replace external concrete window sill
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Huw40
Labourer
Labourer

Remove and replace external concrete window sill

by Huw40 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi, I have a two part concrete window sill which has blown (internal metal bars have rusted). Can I remove this and replace with similar while the window is still in situ or should I take the window out first (the widow is a UPVC double glazed unit measuring 190cm wide by 150cm high). I'm willing to do most DIY jobs but I'll look an idiot if this widow drops out on the patio/my head.

Thanks, Huw.

ashymoko
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Remove and replace external concrete window sill

by ashymoko » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:25 pm

Take the window out, itll make life a lot easier. if its a ground floor window just get someone to help you take it out. If its a first floor window its probly better and safer to pay someone to do the job.

Ash

Huw40
Labourer
Labourer

by Huw40 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:11 am

Thanks Ash, it is a ground floor window. I wasn't sure if the window frame sits on and is supported by the sill or if the widow frame was just butted up to the sill.

Huw

ashymoko
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ashymoko » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:45 pm

the window frame will most certainly be sitting ontop of the cill. depending on the style of glazing you have will depend on how easy the window will be to locate the screws and take out. If it is an older style window its likely to be gasket glazed which may require new gasket once youve taken the unit out. if its a newer style it will be glazing bars wih the gasket built in, which can easily be removed and re-used as long as you use a thin scraper to dislodge them.
anyway, good luck with it. if you need any more info or advice just message me.
id be happy to help, ash.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:59 pm