Remove Internal Wall in 1960's Bungalow - Structural Engineer or Builder
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dwithens
Labourer
Labourer

Remove Internal Wall in 1960's Bungalow - Structural Engineer or Builder

by dwithens » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:16 am

I am interested in removing an internal wall between kitchen and dining room, in a 1960's bungalow. The roof appears to have single span joists, so maybe the wall is load bearing.

However I am concerned that I will need an RSJ. Additionally I assume that I will need to get building regulation approvals.

If I ask a builder to give me a quote, would he be able to size the RSJ, and apply for approvals.

If I would like to do the work myself, should I get a structural engineer to size the RSJ, and he could apply for approvals?

COW
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Remove Internal Wall in 1960's Bungalow - Structural Engineer or Builder

by COW » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Assume you mean ceiling joists. If they run parallel with the wall then the wall is unlikely to be load bearing. Any loading on the ceiling joists will to some extent depend on the roof design but in most cases they do not carry a great load, there job is to restrain the outward movement of the roof rafters. Most of the load will be from plasterboard, Insulation, water tanks, loft boarding and all the junk that most people store in the loft!! If you decide it is load bearing you may be able to get useful information from the 'Catnic' lintels website (product selection) Regardless of wall type "If you wish to build a new internal wall, remove an internal wall, or form an opening in an internal wall, building regulations will normally apply".

dwithens
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Remove Internal Wall in 1960's Bungalow - Structural Engineer or Builder

by dwithens » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:57 am

Many thanks for the reply.
I have looked again more closely, and the wall is not load bearing, but is half way along the joints, so would support any junk that gets put in the loft. Also looking to the future, the roof structure would be ideal for a loft conversion at some point in the future.
Therefore assuming I need an RSJ, what would the merits be if I went to a builder, or a structural engineer?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1