removing and replacing plater board ceiling
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mustdo
Apprentice
Apprentice

removing and replacing plater board ceiling

by mustdo » Fri May 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi,
Im going to remove a plaster board ceiling or it could lath and plaster one not sure yet and replace with a plaster board one,never done this before could someone please advise me on the following.
1. Size of room is approx 3m x 4m what size board would you recommend?
2. What thickness?
3. What size screw?
4. Best place to start from
5. Do I use tapered joint or straight egd board?
6. Do I but each board uptight or leave a gap in between?
7. How often do i have to screw into the boards
8. How much would I exspect to pay to have this plastered?

I can only see one problem and that's over the bath how do I work this area and be safe at the same time.
I would be grateful for any advice on the above

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Mon May 10, 2010 1:16 am

1. I would always say the bigger the board the better, if you're doing it on your own though then use 6x3's (1800x900)
2.9.5mm thick.
3.25mm
4.Start at one corner and screw a board up then a half (along the 3m wall), then where the half of board ends start with a full board next to it then half and so on....this staggers the joints.
5.Doesnt really matter.
6.plasterers used to leave a gap when the old cotton scrim was used but now fibre tape is used you can butt each board up.
7.About every 8/10 inches
8.£80-£120 to be skimmed

Try using a hop up like a Alluminium work platform (about £30 from B&Q) and put it right next to the bath, sheet the bath out first.

Good luck

mustdo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mustdo » Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 am

Many thanks Dan the Man, you have given all the info I asked for much appreciated.
I will have to go for the 6 x 3 boards just remembered its getting them up the stairs and will have to take a door off to get them into a very small landing.
king regards

michael john jacob
Labourer
Labourer

fixing plasterboard panels to a ceiling on your own

by michael john jacob » Thu May 27, 2010 11:03 am

[quote="Dan the man"]1. I would always say the bigger the board the better, if you're doing it on your own though then use 6x3's (1800x900)
2.9.5mm thick.
3.25mm
4.Start at one corner and screw a board up then a half (along the 3m wall), then where the half of board ends start with a full board next to it then half and so on....this staggers the joints.
5.Doesnt really matter.
6.plasterers used to leave a gap when the old cotton scrim was used but now fibre tape is used you can butt each board up.
7.About every 8/10 inches
8.£80-£120 to be skimmed

Try using a hop up like a Alluminium work platform (about £30 from B&Q) and put it right next to the bath, sheet the bath out first.

Good luck[/quote]

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:21 pm

Find trusted, insured and vetted tradesman local to your area. Visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:15 pm