Removing black finish from wood floor when sanding
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sp963
Labourer
Labourer

Removing black finish from wood floor when sanding

by sp963 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi,

We've just removed some carpet from our new place and are planning to sand and re-finish the original wood floors - however we discovered that much of it is covered with a black paint/finish that is burning through the abrasive on the belt sander. I'd be really grateful for any tips about removing this pre-sanding because as it stands the abrasive on the sander lasts about ten minutes before it gets too coated to continue. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

thedoctor

Re: Removing black finish from wood floor when sanding

by thedoctor » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi, Take a look at the following page and look at this product we reviewed a few weeks ago. It should do the job well for you without damaging your floor. Good luck and please do let us know how you got on.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/product-rev ... review.htm

AndyChivs
Labourer
Labourer

by AndyChivs » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi
Sounds like the black varnish you get on 1930's floorboards?

Home Strip paint and varnish remover will do the job safely and effectively, and probably save you sanding the floor.

sp963
Labourer
Labourer

by sp963 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Thank you both very much for getting back to me! I will give the products you recommend a try and let you know how I get on. Many thanks!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:51 pm