Removing fasteners in chipboard wardrobes to dismantle
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kashkei
Labourer
Labourer

Removing fasteners in chipboard wardrobes to dismantle

Post by kashkei » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:18 am

fasteners.jpg
Hi, this is my first post, so hello.

I’m removing chipboard wardrobes in two bedrooms - it’s all going in a skip - and am having problems getting these fasteners out. There are two kinds, one for holding cupboards and drawers together - the top pair in the photograph - and the other supporting and fixing the shelves in the cupboards. I’ve been able to break the drawers and some of the cuboards down with a lump hammer, that was easy, but now I need to get all the other fasteners out. Can anyone tell me how to do that, please? What tools do I need? I can’t even separate that bottom fastener (for the shelves) into its parts and I had to saw that out with a reciprocating saw. The lump hammer method won’t work for the ones that are left, and tackling a lot of those with a reciprocating saw is too dangerous.

I’d really appreciate some advice, please. TIA. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kashkei
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Removing fasteners in chipboard wardrobes to dismantle

Post by kashkei » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:59 am

Bingo!! I think I’ve found the answer. For background, I’m a newly single 50-something who’s lived with an enthusiastic but unskilled DIY-er for many years, and have a houseful of tatty, unfinished projects to get rid of. If my questions are very basic, that’s why.

I searched the Screwfix website and now know what these fixings are called. Another web search, on getting them out, said to use a slotted screwdriver and rotate all the cam locks 90 degrees anticlockwise. Once that’s done, push the panels apart. We’ll see.

This is starting to be enjoyable instead of a chore. :-)

kashkei
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Removing fasteners in chipboard wardrobes to dismantle

Post by kashkei » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:27 am

Both bedrooms are now clear of that rubbish apology for furniture, very easily done, and very satisfying. The skip's full, I'll need another one in due course, I've got the bit between my teeth now. :-)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:32 pm