Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rbuxton76
Apprentice
Apprentice

Removing grout from rough tiles

by rbuxton76 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:40 pm

Hello,

can someone please assist in how best to remove grout from rough mosaic tiles. (non slip for bathroom!)
they are not grouted yet but after doing a small test are its is pretty clear that the grout will not come off after drying without a lot of work and without taking away most of the grout between the tiles as well??

I have read somewhere about grout release stuff that you paint on the tiles first?
is this any good? anyone know where to get it in the UK shop?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:44 pm

What do you mean by "rough"? Do you mean a riven surface or do you mean pitted (lotsa tiny little holes) like travertine?

Pending answer to that Q I'll assume they are ceramic for the moment. You should always clear grout before its set completely. Mix up no more grout than you can use in 15 minutes otherwise it will go off. Don't make it too runny either because when you clean youll just wipe it out. Mix up your second batch and use it then go back to the first lot and clean it up. Do not clean parallel to grout lies or you'll just remove the grout or wash it out if you use too much water. Clean at 45 degree angle to the grout line.

Grout release is good for travertine etc but no point in using it on ceramics if you follow the procedure mentioned above. Natural stone also requires sealing before and after grouting.

You are using proper flexible bagged gear aren't you and not tubbed carp?

Cheers

rbuxton76
Apprentice
Apprentice

by rbuxton76 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:44 am

Hello

thanks for the reply
we are using White anti slip "swimming pool" tiles Google "wallsandfloors.co.uk/product-details.php?tid=183&cid=17"

they are ceramic and it it the non slip top that is uneven I guess you could say pitted.

I have been recomended to use BAL protective sealer
its a temporary seal that washes off when you wipe off the excess grout
apparently taking it with it?
Currently using a tub of Unibond bathroom grout ready mixed
Is this no good?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:59 pm

Ok I found them. I wish whoever does it would just stop changing a link containing a full URL into "google part of the link". It just doesnt work!

Anyway. I wouldn't say they are pitted - rough surface maybe but not pitted.

You should be fine if you follow the procedure outlined in my previous post.

"Currently using a tub of Unibond bathroom grout ready mixed. Is this no good?"

I don't like ready mixed grout frankly and wouldn't use it. That doesn't mean its not OK for you. Just dont wait for it to go hard before cleaning and you'll be fine.

Cheers

rbuxton76
Apprentice
Apprentice

by rbuxton76 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:32 pm

thanks for your help

so far so good with the tiles. (Plus the tub turned out to be powder not ready mix so all good)

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:11 pm