Removing kitchen cupboard & replacing with a dishwasher
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
louhop
Labourer
Labourer

Removing kitchen cupboard & replacing with a dishwasher

Post by louhop » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:51 pm

I am planning to remove a full size kitchen cupboard & replace with a freestanding dishwasher. The cupboard I am planning to remove is at the end of a row of waist height cupboards. There is then a tall cupboard on the other side of the one I am going to remove, but I am concerned about the worktop & whether removing the cupboard below would mean that there is nothing to support the end of the worktop. This section of worktop is fairly short - there will be the length above the dishwasher & then there is a single sink/drainer. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

toptips
Ganger
Ganger

Post by toptips » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:31 pm

hi,join the worktop to the tall cupboard with a few L shaped brackets. You could also put a few screws through the cuboard into the edge of the worktop.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:37 pm

this would work, or you could fix a timber batten to the cupboard underneath and along the whole width of the worktop. screws can be fixed up through the bottom into the worktop to hold it rigid (dont drill up too far and come through the surface of the worktop!) and through the cupboard itself.

billy d
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by billy d » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:23 pm

hi louhop chris`s suggestion about the batten would give a stronger fixing the only problem is when replacing a unite with a free standing appliance there is no room for the batten.Toptips is the best solution,just a tip when screwing into chipboard I have found that a gypsrock screw gives the best fastening.That is the plaster board screw a small pilot hole and it really pulls try it and see. Hope this helps.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:13 pm