Removing old interior doors with seized screws
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

Removing old interior doors with seized screws

by Zacccc » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:48 am

I need to remove the interior doors in my house to take some off the bottoms of them for new carpets. I've looked at videos and advice online and they talk about removing the pins from the hinges. The thing is that these are very old doors and I don't think they have pins in the hinges. So I've tried to unscrew them but they seem to be seized up. Has anyone got any tips on how to free the hinge screws please?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Removing old interior doors with seized screws

by welsh brickie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:12 pm

you need an impact driver to remove stubborn screws, Make sure the heads of the screws are clean from any paint,so that the screwdriver bit gets a good bite.

Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Removing old interior doors with seized screws

by Zacccc » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:32 pm

welsh brickie wrote:you need an impact driver to remove stubborn screws, Make sure the heads of the screws are clean from any paint,so that the screwdriver bit gets a good bite.

Thanks for that mate. I've had some success today (3 doors) by scraping all the paint from around the screw and within the slot and then putting a screwdriver in the slot and giving it a bit of a hammer and then unscrewing. But thanks again for your input.

Btw is a hammer drill/screwdriver an impact driver or is an impact driver a more specialized tool?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:02 am