Removing scuffmarks from bathroom ceramic surface
DIY hints, tips and solutions to the removal and repair of marked and stained areas

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JON WILSON
Labourer
Labourer

Removing scuffmarks from bathroom ceramic surface

by JON WILSON » Fri May 23, 2008 3:22 pm

Some unexplained scuffmarks have appeared on a new white ceramic basin fitted recently which I can't remove using the usual cleaning agents.
Does anyone know what they might be and how to remove them?
Possibilities might include a paint tin or plastic bowl 'scuff', or newsprint ink. Definitely not hairline cracks despite being on the curved rim of the basin.
Strange thing is, this happened before on a white basin I fitted last year which has been in daily use and the scuffmarks marks still remain. Can't 'feel' any change in surface texture, marks 15 - 25 mm long, 0.5mm to 2mm wide, dark grey in colour. Annoying!

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri May 23, 2008 6:02 pm

The marks you describe are caused by the glaze being scratched by some other object. You cannot feel any variation in the surface and visibly they appear as silver/grey marks.

The only way to remove them is to use a diamond impregnated rubber that is available from a bathroom supplier.

Unfortunately the problem is these cost £25 for a piece half the size of an oxo cube.

Mine is safely locked away in the van glove compartment, and only comes out when signed for in triplicate.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:49 am