Removing UPVC door from frame
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Removing UPVC door from frame

Post by greengrass » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:29 pm

Can't see a project list for PVC doors and windows so pasting it here.

At great expense which seriously effected my wallet Er in doors had a PVC door fitted from Kitchen in to conservatory which now keeps closing following my oiling it [mistake].

she now wants it removed and left as an open doorway. Problem! can't access the hing screws so how do I get the hing pins out? or will I have to take the frame and door off together?

On each hing plate on the frame are small allen key type grub screws in the centre and a larger countersunk philips head screw above and below the grub screws.

noidea
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Removing UPVC door from frame

Post by noidea » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:00 am

I've got a similar problem to one below. I changed lock mechanism a couple of years ago, BUT now the [b]handle has seized[/b] - suspect something has sheared (lock mechanism is still working). How do I remove lock/ door / frame? :-(

Newbie on this site and first post, but its a good website with some sound advice and good info.

Thanks in advance

[quote="greengrass"]Can't see a project list for PVC doors and windows so pasting it here.

At great expense which seriously effected my wallet Er in doors had a PVC door fitted from Kitchen in to conservatory which now keeps closing following my oiling it [mistake].

she now wants it removed and left as an open doorway. Problem! can't access the hing screws so how do I get the hing pins out? or will I have to take the frame and door off together?

On each hing plate on the frame are small allen key type grub screws in the centre and a larger countersunk philips head screw above and below the grub screws.[/quote]

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Post by greengrass » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi noidea seems like we're both in it.

Found a website that say how to take out the cylinder [which might be the cause in your case] remove the screw on the edge of the door inline with the bottom of the lock. Place the key in the lock and turn it either to 5 to or 5 past the hour position, hold it there, gently pulling the barrel out. give it a good oiling then replace it and see what happens. not very helpful but hope it works if you try it.
Greengrass

noidea
Labourer
Labourer

Post by noidea » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:28 am

Thanks for the quick reply Greengrass.

Don't think this will work. I should have said the door won't open - so I can't get to the edge of it. The key will turn fine in the lock, its just that the handle stays in a (from the inside) 9 0'clock position. It will move up to 11 o'clock position but it doesn't 'throw' the multi-point mechanism.

I had one quick attempt at allen screws, but very soft metal. Only thought at present, is drilling them out and a heavy hammer and punch to remove the pins on the hinges. Then maybe buying butt hinges as well as whatever needed to repair multipoint mechanism.

I wasn't impressed with fitter BUT I may go back to suppliers and see what the options are.

[quote="greengrass"]Hi noidea seems like we're both in it.

Found a website that say how to take out the cylinder [which might be the cause in your case] remove the screw on the edge of the door inline with the bottom of the lock. Place the key in the lock and turn it either to 5 to or 5 past the hour position, hold it there, gently pulling the barrel out. give it a good oiling then replace it and see what happens. not very helpful but hope it works if you try it.
Greengrass[/quote]

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:50 pm