removing wallpaper paste
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
godders
Labourer
Labourer

removing wallpaper paste

Post by godders » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:01 pm

i've stripped off 30 year old wallpaper and am left with tacky walls and in some cases slimey glue from the wallpaper (I used a steamer to strip the walls). How do i get rid of the glue? How do i then prepare the walls (30 year old plaster) for painting?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:54 pm

removing wallpaper adhesive is a job and a half. the steamer may help, warm salty (yes, salty) water is the best way to clean off wallpaper adhesive.

dump a tub of table salt into a bucket with warm water and a sponge. i always use this when wallpapering to wipe down the pasting table - works far better than washing up liquid or other detergents.

have to say i personally wouldn't even bother trying to remove the paste. easiest solution is to line the walls with lining paper. that solves your paste issue and plaster prepping in one fell swoop. painting over 30 year old bare plaster may be regretted in 6 months, especially over wallpaper paste (you won't get it all off, no matter how much effort you put in) when the paint starts peeling and hairline cracks start appearing.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:30 am