Remvoed Electric Shower - MCB question

Postby beadie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:23 am

I recently had an issue with my electric shower leaking. I isolated the electrics by turning of the MCB for the shower before removing the shower. Not sure of the KW rating of the old shower as it does not state on the shower it could be 7.5 or 8.5kw. Having read various forums about cable size and MCB rating for showers I have checked and have 10mm2 cable connected to a 45A MCB at the CU so I presume I am OK to replace with upto a 10.5KW shower (Wont be installing this myslef, will get a pro). My question is at the moment the MCB swith for the shower is off. Can this be left off for an indefinate amount of time?. I presume so but just checking. Thanks
beadie
Progress to next rank:
68.4%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:03 am

The MCB must be left off, whilst the shower is disconnected.
45amp MCB will be okay for 10.5 kw shower.
Does the circuit have any RCD protection, this should be a consideration and your electrician will recomend this, if there is non.
kbrownie

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!