render over dpc
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
chrisbpt
Apprentice
Apprentice

render over dpc

Post by chrisbpt » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi All,

I recently bought a new house (built around 1895) and unfortunetly the front room has quite a few damp problems. To cut a long story short the front wall of the house was being effected by rising/penitrating damp.

This seems to have been happening due to two reasons. Firstly the slate DPC had been rendered over. Secondly there has also been some under pinning (probably DIY its also only 1 brick below the DPC) and rain is now bouncing off the concrete slab (underpinning) and in to the render above the DPC.

One other point I should mention is that the wall has also had a chemical DPC injected along the wall two bricks above the slate DPC. This obviously didn't solve the problem.

I am pretty sure that with two DPC's now in place the rising damp issue is now sorted. The penitrating damp from rain bouncing obviously isnt
I obviously can't remove the under pinning to dig a french drain so was wondering what my option are. I think I need some sort of barrier to stop the rain bouncing off the under pinning and in to the wall but am not sure of the different ways that this can be done?

Is there some sort of facia/skirt that can be attached to the bottom of the wall to cover over the DPC's? I was also thinking of running some synthetic DPC up the the brickwork(the dpc would need to lip out between the render above the DPC to stop damp rising through the render) and rendering over it, would that work?

[img]http://www.chrisburrowspersonaltrainer.co.uk/DSCN1365.JPG[/img]

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:51 am