Rendering concrete awning on ex council house to tidy it up
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andy101
Labourer
Labourer

Rendering concrete awning on ex council house to tidy it up

by andy101 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:33 am

Hi,
I'm seeking advice on something I want to do to tidy up the front of my house. It is an ex council house built in the 1960s with a shabby looking semi circular concrete awning above the front door. It is structurally built into the wall with internal (in one place visible and rusted) steel support and side supports that are also built into the wall. the shelf is not part of the main lintel however it looks like a second lintel, visible from the inside and spanning further than the actual lintel but with one course of bricks between them.

1. Give it a facelift and cover it with render but am a little unsure as to whether or not it would be capable of holding the extra weight or the render.
2. cut the whole damn thing off with a grinder and fit a wooden awning.

Has anybody had any experience with these things falling off? I am planning on doing the work myself as cost is an issue but i dont want to go diving head first into something without advice

Thanks, Andy

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rendering concrete awning on ex council house to tidy it up

by welsh brickie » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:46 pm

I would remove it, its not serving any purpose with its semi circular design, Get a professional to do it for you though

andy101
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Rendering concrete awning on ex council house to tidy it up

by andy101 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:59 pm

yeah, as i was posting the question i was starting to sway towards getting it removed.

thanks mate

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:24 pm