Rendering outside porch
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Novice plasterer
Labourer
Labourer

Rendering outside porch

by Novice plasterer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum and i'm just hoping that someone on hear can help me! I have an outsie porch to render, its about 2m square so not that big, i did a plastering course about two years ago but havn't used it since so just need help to jog my memory!
so starting from the begining, its a new build so pretty clean, by memory i need to bead the outside corners but do i need to bead the bottom? or do i just render from the ground?
Then i'll run a 10mm batten up the midle of the wall to make two 1m sections?
Then wet the wall down, or do i need to PVA? its new blockwork!
Then what mix do i need for the first coat?
Once mixed and on my board i'll put the 1st coat on, do i go right up flush with the beads or leave abit of the bead showing?
Once leveled off then i scratch, how long do i leave before finish coat?
Is the finish coat mix the same as the first coat mix?
i apply finishing coat which is a bit thinner layer, do i leave any bead showing on the outside corners or the bottom?
Do i then leave to dry at all?
Then finish off with a woden float in circular motion untill smoth?
is all or any of this right?
Any info that people could give me on hear would be very much appriciated!
Sorry for such a long post!

Cheers.

Dave.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rendering outside porch

by welsh brickie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:40 am

fix your angle beads and your bell bead first.The bell bead is the 1 that deflects water from the wall.
Mix 4:1:1 sand and cement lime with waterproof addative for your scratch coat.just run your finger and thumb over the beads to clean the excess.
you can use plastic float on the top coat and a sponge to get your finish.The mix is the same for the top coat without the waterproof addative.

Novice plasterer
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Rendering outside porch

by Novice plasterer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks very much for your info 'welsh brickie', very helpfull! Just to clarify a few things, when its all finished should any of the beading be showing i.e just the tips?
How far off the ground should the bell cast bead be? I'm guessing just above the DPC.
Do i need to let the scratch coat dry at all before puting on the finish coat? and do i let the second coat dry at all be fore sponging it down?
On a slightly differant matter, i'm also plastering the inside of the porch (three walls and the ceiling). I'll be plastering over new plasterboard so do i need two coats, or will just the one coat do?
Also what order am i best to do it in? Ceiling first then two oposite walls then centre wall last, letting each dry first, maybe do it over a couple of days.
Thanks again for your reply!

Regards

Dave.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:15 am