Rendering - should we re-render and what type to use?

Postby sandpiper » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:45 pm

We have recently bought a bungalow built in 1921 & is of a non standard build. We have sofar insulated 3 rooms with plasterboard fitted a new kitchen & shower room. Once the inside is finished we need to have work done on the outside.
A builder has suggested that we have a layer of bricks put on top of the current render & I am very concerned about this in case we get damp in.
There is no damp course but there are lots of air bricks around the brick skirt which appears to ventilate the property ok.
Would we be better to have the place re-rendered & if so what type of render would be suitable as there is obviously timber with a wire mesh under the current render. There is a cavity of 10 cm which is obviously serving its purpose.
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:34 pm


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:23 pm

if you want to re render over the original render, then you need to pva the existing walls first, Its up to you what you use, either pebbledash or cement render there are many on the market,
welsh brickie
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Postby sandpiper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:57 am

Thank you for that info Welsh brickie very grateful
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics