Repairing a Bungaroosh Flint Garden Wall
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SIRDEANR
Labourer
Labourer

Repairing a Bungaroosh Flint Garden Wall

Post by SIRDEANR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:31 pm

HI TO ALL,
I HAVE A BUNGAROOSH (FLINT) GARDEN WALL IN A VERY POOR STATE AND I AM THINKING ABOUT RENDERING IT TO ADD STRENGTH BACK TO IT, CAN ANYBODY HELP WITH ADVICE ON THIS PLEASE
( WHAT SAND CEMENT MIX ECT )
MANY THANKS
DEAN.

30yearsinthegame
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by 30yearsinthegame » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:35 pm

hi

make any repairs to the wall before you reender (ie cement in broken away pieces) then you can add a dab coat. the idea of the dab coat will be to make the wall a little more even ready for the render coast. this can be done with a 3-1 mix and is always a good idea to have a strong mix when we bind old walls. then you can carry on with a 2 or 3 coat render and you can always add stainless steel mesh. use the mesh if there is alot of dabing out as this will prevent it craking.

top coat mixes should be for an old wall 4-1 and then a final top of 5-1 although with out seeing the wall its hard to say what i would do , but this is a strong mix which will be needed on your old wall. your scratch coat should have a water proofer , sika is a great brand. also i would use fibreglass reinforcing , which are like white hairs and this will help bond your render and will reduce shrinkage and cracking. lime on your top coat will allow your render to dry quicker and be flexable.

its always nice to see fresh render , and if its just a small area then give it ago yourself. if you want tips on hoow to render, then post your questions on this forum and we will answer them.

hope this helps and good luck

SIRDEANR
Labourer
Labourer

Post by SIRDEANR » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:30 pm

[quote="30yearsinthegame"]hi

HI SORRY FOR LATE REPLY
I HAVE DONE THE WALL EX HOW YOU SAID TOO , CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH IT IS NOW SOLID AS A ROCK :D
MANY THANKS
DEAN

30yearsinthegame
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by 30yearsinthegame » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:27 am

glad to hear it went well.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:38 am