Repairing Oak Table Burn Mark
DIY hints, tips and solutions to the removal and repair of marked and stained areas

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gummo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Repairing Oak Table Burn Mark

by Gummo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:01 pm

The wife has tried to set fire to our lovely oak table via her oil burner. Any ideas on how to fix/disguise it other than sticking a vase on top?
Attachments
TableBurn.jpg

JonDoh
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Repairing Oak Table Burn Mark

by JonDoh » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi,

I'm not a stain removal expert and hopefully one will come along soon, but in the mean time.....

That mark looks pretty severe, once it gets to black charring I can't imagine any of the standard "mark" removal methods will make any acceptable difference, especially on a fairly neutral finish such as yours.

I think the only way you will get it to a point where there is not an obvious burn mark is removal of material.

Easy but not perfect - sand back mark to bare wood and refinish to match the rest of the table as best you can.

Hard work but will look perfect - sand down whole thing to bare wood and refinish to your taste, if you worked on keeping it fairly similar you could probably get away with just the top/edges.

Slightly Pintrest/Not on the High St angle - Remove worst of the char, then use a pattern/template and very dark stain to cover just that section and have the hipsters drooling into their soy based vegan fair trade spinach smoothies at your one of a kind dining table :)

Gummo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Repairing Oak Table Burn Mark

by Gummo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:04 am

Thanks comrade - plenty to mull over there.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:59 am