Repairing old damp problem

Postby fraggle_bean » Tue May 15, 2007 9:40 am


We just moved into a terraced house that used to have a leaking roof. The roof was repaired two years ago and there is no longer a leak, but the evidence of it still remained in the top corner of our upstairs room where the wallpaper and plaster had been crumbling away.

We have now stripped the wallpaper and the crumbling plasterwork has naturally fallen away. However, we are now faced with a fairly large section at the top which appears to be grey concrete. Whilst it is not falling away, it is an area powdery to the touch and probably wouldn't take much for it to come away. Our problem is we're not sure what to do next. Should we knock the concrete away and reapply new concrete? Is this something we can do ourselves, or should we just leave the whole thing alone and let the professionals deal with it?

We've also noticed halfway down the wall a diagonal pipe is starting to rust through the plasterwork - is this an old method of relieving the damp. Is it something we should aim to remove, or keep in?

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 9:34 am


Simply Build It

Postby thedoctor » Wed May 16, 2007 2:45 pm

Its not possible to diagnose problems like a rusted pipe on a forum Rachel and the concrete you mention is unlikely to be concrete if its just crumbling. We think you need to get some advice from a professional in here because anyone on this forum would just be guessing and that coulod cost you more money than the job is worth.
Site Admin
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics